Adapted by award-winning playwright Jean Tay and directed by Samantha Scott-Blackhall, Behind the Wall follows Tommy, a little mouse who ventures beyond a mysterious wall in the perfect city of Pura Pura, where he meets animals that talk and look “different”, like Al the Elephant, a worker from a faraway land. Behind The Wall shows us that, while people may look and sound very different, we are all the same on the inside, and just as capable of kindness.
Why this programme will benefit both students and teachers:
- It contributes to character development through the teaching of values, in line with MOE’s Character & Citizenship Education (CCE) curriculum
- It helps students develop empathy to understand and respect others in our community
- It encourages students to look at the similarities shared by people of different races and cultures, building a more inclusive society
- It helps students reflect and respond to a community and national issue as active and responsible citizens in a globalized world
- It engages parents to think with their children about the contributions of migrant workers and show their appreciation
- It educates through storytelling and the arts, teaching important values in an interactive and fun way
- This programme is eligible under the Tote Board Arts Grant subsidy – Save up to 50% of the programme cost
Specially designed for children, this 50-min digital programme scaffolds understanding for young minds by first presenting a heart-warming story, then opens up perspectives and understanding of our migrant workers with a pre-recorded post-show engagement activity, which includes:
- A fun follow-along activity video
- A Teacher’s Resource Pack and activity sheets*
- An e-copy of the original book, Who’s Behind That Wall
*The Teacher’s Resource Pack and activity sheets make connections for children by helping them look at similarities across different cultures, and encouraging an openness to embracing diversity in ethnicity, culture, class, gender, or disability. Teachers will be equipped with a FAQ resource and instructional pack to guide the students in these activities.